6 Effective Ways to Get Rid of Hyperpigmentation
Uneven pigmentation and blemishes are something that most of us experience through various stages of our lives.
There are numerous causes for Hyperpigmentation and blemishes, the major ones being sun damage, hormone changes, post-inflammation and the natural ageing process. But timely intervention can help us reduce hyperpigmentation and restore the even glow of the skin. Before we dwell further into how to reduce hyperpigmentation, let's understand what can lead to this process.
Causes of Hyperpigmentation
Some of the major causes of hyperpigmentation are as follows:
Various forms of skin inflammation, such as acne, skin cuts, eczema, and insect bites, can lead to skin inflammation. In fact, even if you rub or scratch your facial skin too hard, this can lead to inflammation which often causes hyperpigmentation.
Long Exposure to Sun:
While sun rays do benefit the human body in terms of the production of Vitamin D, they are also responsible for the production of melanin which offers a tan to the skin. This tan is a defence mechanism of the human body against harmful sun rays, but long and frequent exposure may lead to hyperpigmentation.
Medications and Medical Conditions:
Some medical conditions, such as Addison's Disease etc. can lead to hyperpigmentation. Besides, some antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs too lead to the developments of pigments on the skin. In fact, Some chemotherapy medicines can also cause temporary hyperpigmentation.
In females, hormone changes through periods of pregnancy, breastfeeding and menopause can also trigger uneven pigmentation.
How to Prevent and Reduce Hyperpigmentation:
After knowing the major reasons and causes of hyperpigmentation, let us know some effective tips and tricks to prevent the process and also get rid of it once it occurs over your facial skin:
- The first and very important step to prevent hyperpigmentation is to prevent your skin from sun damage. You already know that sun rays can lead to a lot of damage to your skin and therefore, you need to wear sunscreen before you step out. Don't forget to protect your eyes with a good pair of sunglasses.
- Do not scratch or pick your facial skin in any case. It is so tempting to burst a pimple on the face or scratch a mosquito bite or squeeze a blackhead out of your face. However, as funny as it appears to be, it is actually quite dreadful for your skin. Scratching or picking the skin will lead to an increase in inflammation and will also cause discolouration of the skin.
- Make sure you pick the correct skincare and treatment products in case of hyperpigmentation. If you experience a stinging condition or your skin burns after using some beauty product, make sure you discontinue using the product. It's obvious that something that suited your friend's skin might not suit you. So make sure to pick the correct product, and if it causes any harm to your skin, discontinue the same and consult your doctor.
- Make sure to keep your skin hydrated with some good hyperpigmentation serum and creams. You can go for some really cool and effective products such as Anti Acne and Hyperpigmentation Serum from DRSQ which are specially meant to prevent and cure this pigmentation process. You can go for the one according to your skin type and use it according to the description of the product. And again, if this serum or cream is causing any sort of irritation, you can discontinue the usage and go for a better product.
- Consult your doctor and get to know the reasons for hyperpigmentation on your skin. If these reasons are because of your lifestyle, you can always bring changes in your lifestyle, living habits and travelling so that you can prevent damage to your facial skin. Besides, the skin experts will also suggest pigmentation removal processes such as dermabrasion, chemical peels or microdermabrasion etc. All these processes look easy but the experts suggest them to be your last retort in case of hyperpigmentation.
- Go for everyday home products which can be applied to your face to get rid of dark spots and hyperpigmentation easily. Some of the products such as aloe vera gel, turmeric powder, apple cider vinegar, green tea extracts, onion juice, lemon juice, milk and yoghurt etc. are pretty good to get rid of unwanted pigments on your facial skin.
These are some of the ways in which you can help prevent and reduce uneven pigmentation.